Kimbap or is it Kimpop? Maybe Kimbop?

Whatever the correct spelling, it's delicious as hell. Why? Because I said so! And I know a lot about what tastes delish. It's a sort of special skill I have.
It's really difficult to find decent sushi in Paris. This is mostly because French people seem to be afraid of eating raw fish. They eat carpaccio and steak tartar, but scared of raw fish...I find that a bit bizarre but...Actually, scratch difficult and leme sub that with impossible. And even when you can find edible sushi, sometimes I just crave food from home. Yea, in case I forgot to mention and you couldn't tell by my profile pic, I'm a Kook. And in Korea, we make our sushi, or maki rolls to be exact, with completely cooked ingredients, other than the occasional cucumber or something. And we call is Kimbap.

Why the name Kimbap? Well, bap is rice in korean and Kimbap because my ancestors, being from the family Kim created it. That's why it's one of my favorite Korean food. It would be sacreligious not to like it.

Well, I made this for my French friend, who doesn't much enjoy sushi, and he lurved it! Why? Because I made it with tender love and care! We now eat Kimbap on a regular basis. Mostly Friday nights on the TGV so we can show off. I like to compare this to the French baguette sandwiches cause that's how we eat it in Korea. I can see all the people on the train gnawing on their rubbery baguette sandwiches from Brioche Doree and totally eyeing my beautiful creation. But I never share. Suckers!

This is very easy to make but the prep time is long. There is no set recipe for it because you can put in whatever you find in the fridge. In the picture above, I just took some finely sliced beef marinated in a special bulgogi dressing and cooked to perfection, cucumbers, daikons, yellow american cheese and some store bought julienned carrots that I quickly sauteed and rolled it with ease with the seaweed.

No comments:

Post a Comment