What do I eat when in Paris?

When I moved to Paris early last year, I read Mark Bittman's NYtimes articles on Steak Frites. He lists 5 different places and I've tried all but 1. One of the venues on the list is Relais de l'Entrocote. I went last year for the first time and the fries were amazing! BUT, they wouldn't give me any ketchup. Dam frog's. The steak was also pretty great. But it comes swimming in this green buttery sauce, which Mark Bittman describes as a tarragon herb butter sauce. Not completely true. It is and herby chicken liver sauce. You can't taste much of the liver, but there's an odd texture and color to it. I didn't like it that first time but I was able to cleanse my palate after with some profiteroles, so that was fine. I was in Paris last week and revisited Relais de l'entrocote. This time, I like the sauce even less. I liked it so little, it actually upset my stomach and I was sick all night. Being sick was awful and so painful, but the best diet EVER! I was back to my svelte body from a decade ago! I couldn't eat anything all next day and by evening time, I was starving. So what do I eat after being sick? A rare bacon cheeseburger from Hotel Amour. But I asked for a salad instead of the fries. And the salad was so delish! The next day, I tried making the salad and was totally successful!
Hotel Amour Salad


INGREDIENTS:
Salad greens (I used baby bibb lettuce type greens)
1 small red onion, sliced thin
1 large bouquet of flat leaf parsley
10 basil leaves
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste


PREPARATION:
Using a hand mixer or a food processor, puree all ingredients except the salad greens. Season to taste and toss with red onions and lettuce. Add roughly cut tomatoes if you want. Serve immediately.


I'm never just satisfied with just a salad for dinner. Cause I be a hog. So I also made a fantastic herb, mustard potato salad!
Jamie's Herby Mustard Potato Salad

INGREDIENTS:
3 medium potatoes
1/2 shallot, chopped fine
4 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/2 cup EVOO
Pepper

PREPARATION:
Peel the potatoes and boil until soft. While the potatoes cook prepare the herb mustard sauce. In a big bowl, mix all ingredients. When the potatoes are ready, cut them into thick round slices and mix with the mustard sauce. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment