It's Called Couscous!

It's been a couple weeks of intense detox. Detox and then...RETOX! Yay!

Seriously though, I haven't been myself lately. Been super stingy on groceries because I saw a gorgeous panther coat I must must have! Food? Panther? Food? Panther? PANTHER! Who cares if I starve, at least I'll be warm! So I've been going through my dry goods and other canned and frozen products. One bored day, I was rearranging the fridge and noticed some expensive heirloom tomatoes wanting to go bad. So I made some delicious couscous out of them. The French insist on calling it taboule...but the rest of us know its true name. Couscous! Couscous! Couscous!


Fresh Heirloom Tomato Couscous

FOR 4

INGREDIENTS:
3 large tomatoes
1 cup (150g) couscous
1 chicken cube
Salt, pepper, olive oil

Cut 2 tomatoes into big chunks and puree it in the blender. I used a hand mixer cause its neater and one less object to wash. You should end up with about 1 3/4 cups of puree. Heat the pureed tomatoes in a pot and add the chicken cube. While the puree is heating up, chop the remaining tomato into small cubes. Set aside. Once the puree is hot, pour it over the couscous in a bowl. Mix it up a little because the puree is slightly thicker than using regular broth. Cover with some foil and set aside for 5 minutes.

Fluff the couscous with a fork, add the tomatoes and some olive oil and incorporate it gently. Season with salt and pepper. Serve whenever in whatever temperature you desire.

2 comments:

  1. Not only the French call it taboule: I guess most of middle eastern do as well (and the dish probably originated over there)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...really? im wrong? oh well, we call it couscous in the US, or at least among my friends. i am rarely wrong about food, but it does happen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete